Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a 2008 Cadillac srx with the 3.6, I had a cyl 2

Customer Question
missfire code pop up so...
I have a 2008 Cadillac srx with the 3.6, I had a cyl 2 missfire code pop up so I parked it in the garage and let it sit for 2 weeks, now the car cranks but wont start. It just had the pcm replaced by Cadillac about a month ago and had the timing chains done by the dealer about 30k ago. I bought a new coil thinking that was the issue with the miss but like I said now it wont start at all, almost sounds like there is no compression when cranking. Do you think it could be possible the fuel pump died from sitting?
Thanks,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
5/24/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Dan,

Does it crank at normal speed?

Do you have some ether or starter fluid, and spray some into the throttle body to see if it will start?

How many miles on this engine now?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No starting fluid on hand and it cranks normal speed, the engine has 124k but only 30k since the chains and maybe 2k since the pcm got replaced.

Hi Dan,

I was worried when you said sounds like no compression.

Can we get another scan done now, it may have a new code.

Do you have any fuel for a 4 stroke mower handy?

A spray of that would do, you'll know if it has a partial "cough" into life.

What was wrong with the original PCM, and who fitted the new one?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The caddilac dealer in ca did it. The car just stopped running on the freeway in traffic and it wouldn't turn over again after that so we had it towed to the dealership. We do have mower gas I could put in a spray bottle

If you take the duct off at the throttle body and spray some fuel in there, don't need much.

Slip the duct back on, and crank it up.

If it has anything different from a "cough", to start and run for a second or so, then we know the engine mechanical and spark is fine.

It could then be a fuel pump.

Gary

Hi Dan,

Do you still need help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician