Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

91 Cadillac Fleetwood 5.0 starts runs stalls when put in gear

Customer Question
stalls after idling for a...
91 Cadillac Fleetwood 5.0 starts runs stalls when put in gear stalls after idling for a few minutes starts back up
Have changed temperature sensor at front of motor map sensor idle air control valve ECM fuel pump fuel filter cap wires plugs O2 sensor grounds in front of engine are good Grounds at ECM are good
Starts idles for 5 minutes and shuts off starts runs fine put it in gear shuts off please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/16/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist how long until it re starts??? Roy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Immediately
ok, thanks. if it was fuel related, it would be an extended crank. it sounds like a spark loss. have you change the module and pick up in the distributor??? very common failure for this issue Roy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will stay running if I keep my foot on the throttle
ok, so it does not stall, new info. then the idle control is done through the idle air control motor and the throttle body itself. make sure the plate is good and clean with no carbon build up Roy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When a car that's supposed to idle on its own shuts off we call that stalling
Cadillac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the engine will stay running if the throttle is opened then you do likely have an idle air control related issue. Where the throttle body and IAC cleaned as mentioned above?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician