Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Head lights do not work. We have tested wire to headlights

Customer Question

Head lights do not work. We have tested wire to headlights no power, replace head light lamp modular, check switch, checked fuses, checked blinker switch. Problem began two months ago when we couldn't switch to high beam. Low beam was on. Now no lights at all.
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a mechanic and he spent all day working on this with no luck. He did everything he could think of to see were the problem was and was baffled
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: No, just how I get my headlights back
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What year, model, engine is this Cadillac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999 Cadillac Escalade, motor 350
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here is the wiring diagram. Test for voltage going to the dimmer switch.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The yellow wire, then depending on the results test further back or further forward.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you don't know just ask after the results of the yellow wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were do you find this yellow wire at?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The dimmer switch but let me see if there is an easier place to check that yellow wire for now before the dimmer switch. I see that same yellow wire at pin A connector C2 of the headlamp control module and also at pin D of the daytime running light module. let me look up where both of those modules are located, cause you can just check there to begin with.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The Daytime Running Light (DRL) Module is behind left side of dash, taped to panel wiring harness and the headlamp control module is lower left side of dash.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
You might even want to do a quick check of the gages fuse.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Fuse #4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did all of that all ready
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I figured I would tell you anyhow. Let me know the results of the test on the yellow wire at either 3 of those spots.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Unless you just feel like pulling the dimmer switch and checking there.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I believe it's the Headlamp and Panel Dimmer Switch.Remove the instrument cluster bezel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dimmer switch was pulled and replaced and nothing changed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had this in the garage all day and they did everything imaginable and still nothing.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Putting in a new dimmer switch isn't answering my question anyhow. Is there voltage to the yellow wire?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Are you attempting to test this yourself or are you looking for me to just tell you what is wrong with it? I can only help with the first and then maybe tell you what is wrong with it after the results of some tests.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to pull the dimmer switch and test?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
perhaps you should ask the shop the results, if there was voltage at the yellow wire or not.