Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

JA: . How can we help? Customer: While driving

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hello. How can we...
Hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: While driving after having my battery replaced a few days ago and just changing my radiator and starter from a junk yard my car had been running great just now everything on the dash dimmed and I had to stop now the car won't start and there's a clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the seat when I try to start it
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: My battery is at 12.3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
5/11/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello, i am here and going over your story to see how i can be of assistance, Lou P.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I was driving the middle country Road here in Suffolk County and my dashboard lights just started to Dedman out my car slowed down and then I pulled over to the side and try to restart it and all I hear is a clicking noise coming from my back fuse box underneath my seat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just replaced the battery terminals are tightly secured my battery voltage is running out about 12.4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know if it could be the fuses I just had the alternator replaced but it was replaced by salvage yard
ok, if the battery is at 12.3 that tells me that you a loose connection or the alternator is not charging
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just need to get this thing on the road and fix it without having to tow it if possible
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are my options here then
what model and year cadillac?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2000 Cadillac Deville DTS
apparently you have a meter with you?
ok give me a second.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No my dashboard tells me the readout about my battery is
ok, but the dash goes out when trying to crank it correct? so that does not tell us if the battery voltage drops lower than 12.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes when I crank it my dashboard to go out but my battery says 12.9 V OK
man, with so many recent repairs its possible the power cable is loose on either the starter or the alternator. with the dash dimming out tells me you lost power regardless of what the voltage is showing, i dont think there is anything we can do without a meter and accessing all the fuses to make sure there is battery power at all points in the car.
we can continue as long as needed my friend i am here to help.
so when you get home and ready just reply back to this chat and we can continue.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great I just have to figure out how to get this thing home in your expert advice do you think a Nother starter is going to be needed or alternator
eh...... maybe alternator but that is a very rough guess, i am leaning toward poor connection
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does it help if I just jumped it and drove it for about an eighth of a mile and a diet again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to work on getting it towed back now I just have to see if I have the funds
yes that tells me the alternator is not charging then.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does that mean I need a new alternator
It could, but again until we test some things i would hate for you to go and buy parts on my guess at this point
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician