Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Cadillac dts: I drive a 2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS. I love the

Customer Question
I drive a 2002 Cadillac...
I drive a 2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS. I love the vechicle and would like to continue driving it. The engine has 175k miles and probably should be rebuilt or replaced. It has always used excess oil but my understanding this is common. What should i expect in cost?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
4/30/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question, If you have not had a head gasket leak by 175K you are very lucky. The oil burning can be a problem as well. The replacement engines for these are in high demand due to the head gasket issue. It would be about $7000 to install a replacement with a 3 year 100,000 mile nationwide warranty. A rebuild locally would be about the same due to the labor cost. I would urge you to not put that much into this car but if you are set on keeping it I will be happy to help you do so. Please let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are there viable alternatives i.e. replace with used or remanufatured engine?
All the used engines are a gamble at best with the gasket and oil issues. The $7000 is for a re manufactured engine installed. Please let me know if you have further questions Thank you
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician