FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac Escalade ESV: I have a cadillac escalade esv 2007

Customer Question

I have a cadillac escalade esv 2007 with 120,000 mls. For the past year you can feel and hear a clunk when the car downshifts. It does this when in the higher gears and going uphill, slight hills or inclines. The problem is that is doesn't do it everytime. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times. The first they said they could not find a problem. The second time they said there was a crack in the clutch housing and I spent $2,380.02 (Warrenty item). After driving it away a few days later began again. I have taken it back 3 times since and the dealer says he cannot find a problem and says its my driving. I drive the tech the 3rd time and the clunk and hesitation occurs. He says that there is definately a problem. Later in the day I was called to come back and pick up my car as there is not a problem after all. The clunk is now often and started occuring now when I am driving with the manual shifting. What should I do?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am sorry to hear about your Escalade. From my experience with this vehicle it is typically always a bad output bushing in the rear of the transfer case or transmission or it can be in the driveshaft joints. Most of the time it is in the bushing. It is commonly overlooked by a lot of techs. I would have them check this out. If it is all wheel drive then it can be the transfer case failing which I have seen a few times but that is not terribly common also. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.