Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

1998 Cadillac Deville over heats when A/C is turned on. Any

Customer Question
ideas?...
1998 Cadillac Deville over heats when A/C is turned on. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/11/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Does this have an electric cooling fan? If it does, doe it have 2 and if so, does the one come on automatically when you turn on the ac? if not, that could be your problem.Maybe a relay or a fuse. What engine is in this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
engine is 4.6
Also coolant level is fine but inside dash is saying check coolant level (Not sure if it is a bad coolant level sensor?)
Yes when AC is turned on both fans come on... The car coolant temp rises pretty quickly too.
Is the engine misfiring or the exhaust blowing out any white smoke like when it has a blown head gasket?If not, I would remove the thermostat and leave it out and see if it overheats now, or just replace it but I would like to be sure first so I would leave it out first. Then if it don't overheat with it out, replace the thermostat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no blown head gasket... I'll check thermostat
Once you get it out you can test it on the kitchen stove. Place it in a pot of water and stick in a kitchen thermometer and see if it opens within 5 degrees of what it is rated at.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is normal operating temp?
Slightly above 180 f.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok removed thermostat and with A/C running car is running at 244f is that high? Fans are on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Temp difference at radiator hoses 170f on one end 120f on other end
I would think the water pump isn't moving coolant. Have you changed it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what temp is considered over heating?
I would say around 240f but it all depends on if you have anti-freeze in and at what mixture it is because plain water boils at 212f and if you add pressure to it by keeping a good cap on the system then the boiling point goes up a little, then if yo use a mixture of anti-freeze and water, the boiling point goes up even more, so basically anything over 212f and when the water/coolant boils over.
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician