Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Deville: 98 Cadillac Deville won't start clicking

Customer Question

98 Cadillac Deville won't start clicking noise on starter, trunk opens,gas door opens,ect.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you try to start does it make multiple fast clicks or a single loud click? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Multiple fast clicks and chatter,also the trunk lid opens the gas lid opens humming on radio static the compressor in back runs the lights on dash dim ect, its not just the starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not just a starter issue the strange part is the trunk lid opening ,gas lid opening dash lights on and off humming and static on a closed radio
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried checking the codes but no codes in system
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Multiple clicks usually means the battery has failed. Monitor battery voltage while trying to start, if voltage drops below 11v that means battery is the problem. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lousy answer as if I didn't check the battery as the first problem source, i hooked my battery charger on the battery meter showed 90% charge switched to 50 amp booster on charger still didn't turn engine over clicks and hum from starter, trunk lid popped open also gas filler lid. I thought you were a Cadillac expert and I wasn't born yesterday. The answer you gave me wasn't worth .10 cents never mind 20 plus dollars
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To Dan please respond this ask a Technician appears to be some sort of a scam to suck you in if I want to talk to you $26 dollars more you haven't given me a answer as to why all the electric components were going foolish.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I asked you to one simple test before moving onto other possible options but instead you would rather bash me? Connecting a charger isn't really "checking the battery". It takes 100 amps to start a car, not 50.. Would you like me to open question back up for someone else to help or put in refund request?
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Jerry. I've been a Cadillac mechanic for over 20 years, and I spent many of those years also working as a Cadillac Roadside Service technician. To say that I've seen a lot of Cadillacs that won't start would be a serious understatement, I've been on thousands of calls. One thing that is very consistent on Cadillac Deville from 1996-1999 is that when the battery voltage goes low, the car won't start, and the fuel door and trunk pop open. This doesn't necessarily mean that your BATTERY is faulty (although it probably is), but remember that we're talking about voltage, where the cables connect. These cars also had serious issues with corrosion at the positive battery terminal. The positive cables are stacked on this car in such a way that corrosion can build between the two stacked cable terminals, and you'll have a serious voltage drop from the battery to the rest of the car. I would remove the battery cables, take the positive cables apart and clean any corrosion that's in there, and if there's liquid battery acid, the battery needs to be replaced. If the cables are good and clean and tight, then the short answer here is that your battery is just no good. I understand that you put a charger to it. That does not produce enough amperage to start a car, though, and if your cable connections are compromised, it doesn't make any difference anyway, because the amperage isn't going to pass through corroded cables. I concur with Dan that this problem stems from low battery voltage, either from a faulty battery, a faulty battery cable connection, or both. I've literally seen this particular symptom hundreds of times over the years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for my response. I will take the battery to a automotive supply store and have them run a load test on the battery. I expected a more in depth response I realize the battery must be the first problem, to eliminate. I am still baffled as to the trunk and gas lid opening when trying to start the car.
That's caused by funkiness in the body control module in these cars. It's a computer, and it just has that quirk that when the battery voltage gets low, it pops the trunk and fuel door. No explanation for it, but they all do that from 96-99.