Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Deville: i have a 98 cad deville that i replace the

Customer Question

i have a 98 cad deville that i replace the ac comp i cant get it to cycle and its building up pressure and it blows freeon out the back of the comp also my out side temp is stuck at 55 i have to jump the comp to get it to work
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
What are the high and low side pressures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont remember the low side was all the way in the red the old comp would try to cycle when i put the freeon in ijump the compressor
When you say the low side was in the red, are you saying the pressure very high, or very low? Below zero psi?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
high and also the outside temp on the gauge is stuck at 55
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even when i jump the comp the presure on the low side is high
The outside air temp doesn't update until the car is completely cool (overnight) or you drive the car over 35mph, so don't get hung up on that. You don't have a set of gauges to see what the high side pressure is? Does the low side pressure go up when you engage the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does all the power and grounds and i had no promblem with the freeon and the day before the pressures were good but couldnt get the comp to cycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no gauge for the high side
Are the radiator fans working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea that was the original promplem i replaced all three relays and the one fan kicks on at 221 but after i replace the relays the comp started making a loud growling and thats when i seen the clutch had come apart the secound fan comes on when i jump the comp
How much refrigerant have you added to this system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 12 oz cans
How high (give me a number) is the low side reading? What is the PSI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its pegs the gauge so i dont no for sure
Are you certain that it's attached to the correct service port? It just doesn't make any sense that your low side reading is off the scale, unless you have a blockage in the line or something to that effect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea its on the low side the car is at my shop i and the computer is had the house i can but another set of guages on tomarrow and give you some number if you have a number i can call
If you can get a proper set of gauges, that will actually be a big help here. That will give us an idea of what the system is doing overall. I can arrange for a phone call tomorrow, if you like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea that would be great
OK, come back to this same place tomorrow, and click on the link I sent for the phone call. That will set it all up, and we can figure this thing out for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way you can call me i will not have the computer tomarrow
If you accept the proposed phone call today, I can call you tomorrow at any time that you prefer.