Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac srx: 2006 Cadillac SRX no 'check engine light' display

Customer Question

2006 Cadillac SRX no 'check engine light' display which is needed for inspection. car starts, then stalls. Computer problems?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's some answers?
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
I'd attack these problems separately. There are a number of different computers in the car, that do different things, and it can make your head spin trying to make connections between symptoms like this. So, I would address the check engine light issue first. This is a pretty easy one, but it will take some work. The instrument panel cluster supplies voltage to the MIL whenever the key is ON, and the light is activated by the engine control module, which grounds the other side of this LED and makes it come on. It's simple enough, after some disassembly, to get to the connectors and see if this ground is present at the cluster connector. The cluster supplies power internally, so you can't really check that unless you remove the cluster and start testing the circuit board. But seeing that the ECM is what usually fails on this car, I'd suspect that there's no ground being supplied to the MIL, and the ECM is right under the hood where it's easy to access, so you/your mechanic should start there. Do you want wiring schematics or something like that to diagnose this, or are you just looking for advice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. PG
On the left side of this schematic, you can see the MIL circuit. It should be easy enough to test the ground circuit from ECM to cluster to see if the ECM is grounding it. It should be grounded with key on engine off, to illuminate the light. If not, I would probably ground it myself just to make sure the light actually works, and then assuming that it does, you'd need to replace the ECM. If the ECM IS grounding this circuit, and it's not broken between the ECM and the cluster, then the cluster is defective and needs to be replaced/rebuilt.