Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Sls: Changed motor in my 2003 sls with the northstar

Customer Question

Changed motor in my 2003 sls with the northstar car is running fine but now put it into gear and will not move fluids are fine and shifted perfectly before motor change. What did i miss??
,,
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Make sure the shifter linkage moves the transmission lever with the gear stick, could have knocked that out or otherwise not got it on top of the shift rod exactly right if you took it off. Are there any troubles codes stored by chance? Check those two things and let me know, Was the torque converter loose and did you spin it any before you bolted the torque converter bolts up? Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Linkage is conected, no codes are given. Tork convertet was seated and spun freely before bolted to flywheel
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, If all that is good, then I will have to opt out of this question and see if another expert has a solution. Thank you.
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
This transmission should move regardless of whether there is an electrical connection to it or not, so it's nothing electrical, computer, etc. This is a purely hydraulic/mechanical failure. 4T80's have a pump driveshaft that's about 8 inches long. One end of it connects to the torque converter hub, inside the converter, and the other end of it goes through the valve body and drives the pumps. This shaft is thin in the middle, and I've seen them break. It's by design, if something is bound up or gets caught in the pumps, this shaft breaks and the transmission simply quits moving due to lack of hydraulic pressure. I've also see guys forget to reinstall this driveshaft, if you pulled the torque converter out of the trans, the shaft will sometimes come with it, and you have to put it back in when you put the converter back. One of these two things happened: that shaft is either missing or broken, if everything else is connected up and nothing else was disturbed.