Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Service transmission engine light is on, Drives fine code is

Customer Question
Service transmission engine...
Service transmission engine light is on
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Cadillac Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Drives fine code is speed sensor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes the lite goes off an came back on
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: Also got brakes today and they blew master cylinder so after they put a new one on an bled brakes brake lite on an says switch. How do you remove lite
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
3/26/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer

hi good evening what is the code exactly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P1707
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just brake light on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Want to cancel
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 1 year ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

You don't need help anymore?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do I just don't want to pay more than 26 one time. Not every month
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You gave me no answers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I understand. I can address this with customer service and make sure this is a one time only charge.

What year and model is your Cadillac? Let's see if we can work out the mechanical problems while customer service fixes your account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1996

P1707 isn't a valid code. Are you sure it wasn't P0717 instead?

And, you also have a brake light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Probably
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that too
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just forget it is don't need help cancel ,make sure you do not charge me anything. You guys gave no answers.

I'm sorry, I put in your request to cancel the subscription, and it locked me out of responding back to you. I am happy to help you further to pinpoint what's going on with your Cadillac, looks like we got the technical glitch on the site worked out.

P0717 was pretty common on 96 and 97 Cadillacs. It relates to the input speed sensor in the transmission. This sensor is buried inside the transmission, you have to remove the trans and disassemble it to replace this sensor. GM had quality issues with those sensors in 96 and 97, in the years after that, I don't think I ever replaced another one, but we did a lot of them in those two years.

That is unrelated to any brake system issues, do you have a red brake light lit up on the dash? Any messages about the brake system or anything like that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the brakes as he changed the master cylinder and the brake pads and rotors blood everything and now the brake lights on

OK, so the red brake light is only on since the brake work was done? It wasn't on before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was no lite

Red brake light comes on due to park brake application, most often. Check to make sure park brake release works (it's automatic release, but they do fail on occasion and leave the park brake applied). Otherwise, this light is commanded on by the ABS system, so some diagnostics would be necessary to find out why it's on.

I suspect that your park brake is partially applied. To test this, remove the wire from the park brake switch, and see if the light goes out.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician