Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 98 catera was parked couple hours and when i came back

Customer Question

my 98 catera was parked for a couple hours and when i came back there was complete electric failure. it didnt respond to a jump, no dash lights, radio, even the trunk release is dead. please help point me in the right direction!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do the headlights work? What about the dome lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no they do not.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

What is the battery voltage at?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The reason I ask is because the battery may be bad, low on a charge or you could have a bad connection at or after the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with all due respect, sir, i hope you have better information than that. even if the battery is going(or has gone)bad, when i tried to jump it there would have been some electrical activity. (solenoid clicking, indicator lights, SOMETHING) But there is nothing. it is completely dead. The trunk release doesn't even work. And it had only been sitting for about 3 hours. please tell me i am not going to be charged $40 for that response.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand. Just hiker me and check the battery voltage. This test will determine which direction we go in next. A lot of times people don't jump the vehicle correctly and don't get a good connection so they don't get any results. I have a feeling this is what happened when you tried jumping the battery.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say just humer me and check the battery.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Humor
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Since the headlights don't work, it's got to be something related to or close to the battery. Maybe a bad connection at or after the battery.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Just checking in to see if we have made any progress? I do work all day today but will be back on line later tonight. I will be looking forward to your reply!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee again from just answer. Have we had a chance to check these things?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.