Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need to know if anyone has experience this specific problem…

Customer Question
Need to know if anyone...
Need to know if anyone has experience this specific problem before and knows exactly what the problem is. I have taken my 2005 cts cadillac to my local dealership a number of times and they cannot seem to find the problem. They have reprogrammed the computer, replaced the ecm, replaced the starter relay, replaced the ignition switch.
My problem in a nutshell is that sometimes (not always) after driving for about an hour, if I turn off the engine then try to start it in about 1-2 hours, it will not start. No crank, no turning, etc. But if I come back later (usually about 30-60 minutes), it will start. I think engine heat has something to do with it.
From other investigations, seems like the problem could be one of the connections in the fuse box where the starter relay is inserted. Tired using a volmeter to check the prong inserts and 1 of the 4 prongs gives off a low voltage.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
3/10/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago
Ryan Schott

This may not be the root of your issue but with any of these intermittent voltage issues on these you should start with a loaded voltage drop of all battery cables. Put you volt meter between the positive post and positive connection at the under hood fuse block. Remove the even and odd coil fuses( this will also disable injectors) have an assistant crank the engine while you monitor the volts anything over .15v or 150 MV is too high and the cable needs to be replaced. Do the same from battery to starter and negative cable from battery to main ground.

i don't suppose you happen to know of any mechanics/car shops here in Hawaii (Oahu) that would have experience in this sorta thing do you? Cadillac dealership was little help.

Cadillac Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago

Not off hand but my old service manager lived down there for a while I will call him tomorrow and see if he knows someone good

thanks so much!

Cadillac Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago

No dice he said his friend he used retired. If you want to try and dig into it or have someone do it I can walk them though it pretty good.

Cadillac Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 2 years ago

Did you want me to show you how to test it?