Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

We have a 1999 Cadillac Deville. We have had some problems

Customer Question
with the ignition. When we...
We have a 1999 Cadillac Deville. We have had some problems with the ignition. When we try to start it a lot of times it does nothing. Today it won't start at all. There is a sound being made past the air filter in a small motor. It has a clip plug that goes into this little motor(?) and 2 screws that hold it onto a larger part. At any rate, that is the only noise being made at all when the key is turned on. Normally we can remove the key, push the key in, take the car out of gear and then back into gear and it will suddenly start. Today was the first day, after may attempts, that it just wouldn't start.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
3/8/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here, so it won't even crank correct? The starter motor does not spin the engine when you turn the ignition key to the START position correct? have you tried putting the transmission in neutral and seeing if it would crank in neutral? Let us know, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried all those things. No crank. Turn the key and it's as if there is no battery other than the lights all work, radio, antenna, dinging when door is open etc. This non-start thing has gone on for awhile - sporadically.

Do you have a 12 volt test light or volt meter by chance? and is this something you want to try to diagnose and fix yourself? or are you looking for possible causes and estimates for repair? thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i would like †o fix it myself. I have a test light but the car is in a parking lot miles from here right now.

I follow you, Here is a wiring diagram you can look at. you want to see if YELLOW out of the ignition switch is hot in START position, if it is, hook your test light to PURPLE at the starter solenoid at the starter motor. see if it is hot in START position. That is what I would do first. Could just be the starter motor itself. try tapping on it with a hammer if somebody holds it in START position. when you smack it with hammer and it fires off then, you'll know the starter motor has failing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the little motor making a noise on the engine side of the air filter?

that's the idle valve I think, wouldn't keep it from cranking in my opinion.

Hello!, any luck checking that purple wire on the starter motor to see if it was hot in START position?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician