How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Nova Your Own Question
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Category: Cadillac
Satisfied Customers: 1522
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Type Your Cadillac Question Here...
Dave Nova is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was told I needed a new cat converter although it runs

Customer Question

I was told I needed a new cat converter although it runs well. The 02 is upstream from the converter so how then is the converter bad or is it based on mileage. Check engine light is always on. This a 2001 sts
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I failed emissions and the caddy dealer said I needed a new converter at about $1000.00 thru the dealer. How do reset and find engine codes to solve the actual problem
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cadillac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...

Do you happen to have the "p-codes" available? If your emissions test was an OBDII type test, the p-codes should be on the inspection report, to the left of the description.