Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car won't start start 2012 srx making a clicking noise, i…

Customer Question
Car won't start start...

Car won't start start 2012 srx making a clicking noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Mechanic's Assistant: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I just want to get it started right now; the clicking is under the hood

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?

Lights work

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
3/6/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician

is it clicking like the battery is low ?

is it the starting making the clicking noise ?

No will not start
Cadillac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're hearing a clicking when attempting to start but the engine doesn't crank then the problem is most likely either the starter or a low battery. If you hear a single click from the engine compartment then the most likely cause would be the starter itself, a rapid clicking is most likely a low battery.

If you're hearing a rapid clicking and battery connections are clean and tight then the first thing I would recommend is a jump start if possible. Jumping doesn't always work for a variety of reasons, if jumping doesn't help then swapping in a known good battery or having the battery load tested would be the next step.

I had it jumped, and it has started ever since. Just perplexed about why it happened. No previous issues.

If it started with a jump start then you either have a bad battery, something was left turned on and ran the battery down, or you have a draw. The battery should be tested, if ok then an ignition off draw test can be done to see if there is a component drawing currently while the vehicle is at rest.

Thanks I will do that

You're welcome!