Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1995 caddy won't make a sound when I turn the key. It ran…

Customer Question
George, My 1995 caddy won't make...
George,
My 1995 caddy won't make a sound when I turn the key. It ran fine but when I turned it off and went in my sons house and came out, nothing. The lights work but nothing when I turn the key.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/23/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is the security light on at the instrument cluster?

Do you have a voltmeter to check if the signal from the key is getting to the starter?

Is the factory security the only alarm system on the car?

George I'm not sure if the security light is on. The car is broken down at my sons house.
No voltmeter
It is the only security system in the car

OK, if you see the security light on after you try to start the car but don't turn the key off then it is likely that the small wires in the ignition switch have broken and you will need to bypass the resistor in the key pellet by the head of the key.

If it is not then you will need a voltmeter to test the circuit from the key to the starter and see if the starter is getting signal. If it is then the starter might have failed. On this engine you have to remove the intake to get to the starter I believe, I will double check.

Let me know what I ca do to help you with this

Thank you

My son Brandon is the mechanic in my family. If I give you his number can you call him after he gets home from work? Do I need to pay $26 more dollars even though I just of to join?
I just paid to join?

I am sorry but I am unable to speak on the phone, if you want to have him login here at JA and reply to this thread I will be happy to guide him through the diagnosis or just show him this thread and see if he understands what I am asking about.

I am here most of the evening so let me know how I can help

Thank you

Ok, thanks george

Great, I will watch for your or your son's post.

Thanks

George are you there?
I don't see a security system light anywhere that's on
Now it's came on and went back out

Yes I am, how can I help?

If you don't see the security light then it is more likely that the starter or the neutral switch is the problem.

Can you get a voltmeter?

We disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Then I turned the key and the security light came on for 4 seconds and went off
We have a low voltage tester
Will that help?

OK, that means the computer is happy with the key.

Are you up for some testing, I don't know what a low voltage tester is, you would need a paperclip and a voltmeter to check this out.

Please wait for me to reply so I can work with you

Okay. I have a thing that looks like a screwdriver with a wire and a clip on the end of the wire

Let me know if you can see my reply above

I did. I apologize. I'll slow down
My tester has a light in it.

Taht would be a 12 volt testlight and it is better than nothing

Click here for location

Click here for pinout

Find the starter enable relay, put the transmission in park with the key in the run position and connect the C1 pin of the relay connector to the A2 pin with a paperclip. Let me know if the starter turns the engine

The relay you need is under the driver's door sill plate. It is taped to the harness about 2 inches back from the channel that carries the wires past the door. Pull it up and get to the connector so you can jumper from the C1 to the A2 pin of the relay socket and that should spin the starter.

let me know if it does

Tanks

We will try
Is it under the car?

Ok, I am here for a couple of more hours tonight and back again tomorrow.

The relay is inside below the door opening. Remove the plate on the sill of the door and you will see the wire harness. Up towards the front of the door opening the relay is taped to the wire harness.

Once you jumper the relay connector you will need to turn the key to the start position to send 12 volts to the jumper and on to the starter.

We found it. We're trying to get the wires so we can actually do something
Can I send a photo of what we see?
George,
We have the cover off of the relay. Please instruct again where to jump
We jumped c1 to a2 and nothing

Good, you have to turn the key to the start position once you have the pins jumpered. You are connecting the purple wire in the A2 to the yellow wire in the C1. There is another wire in the C2 which should show 12 volts as well.

Check that your testlight works on the battery terminals and if it does check at the paperclip with the key in the start position to be sure you have 12 volts to the clip.

let me know

Thanks

There is no voltage to the paperclip
Is there a fuse that controls the relay George?

There is a fuse to the yellow wire for the C2 pin but the yellow wire in the C1 pin comes directly through the ignition switch when it is in the start position from the 50 amp MAXI fuse#1 fuse in the underhood fuse block.

Be sure you have the key in the start position when you are checking either yellow wire

You did check your testlight to be sure it works?

Let me know what you find

Thanks

we tested the light and I held the key all the way in the start position while trying the test.

OK then you have a problem between the switch and the relay, you are going to have to get to the large connector to the switch. Are you able to do that? It is at the base of the steering column.

The key switch and the relay? The base of the steering column where it goes into the dash?
We're looking right now to see

The ignition switch is in the steering column correct? Taht switch needs to be checked to be sure you have 12 volts into the switch on the red wire and out on the yellow wire with the key in the start position.

Okay. Trying to figure out how to open up the steering column
Nervous about the airbag a little

There are screws on the bottom of the column but you need the large connector on the bottom of the column C202. You want the yellow wire in pin socket B6

Click here for diagram

The red wire into the switch from Maxi Fuse #1 is in pin D5 of that large connector. !2 volts in on the red and back out on the yellow wire in pin B6 when the key is in the start position, If you have 12 in but nothing out the switch needs to be replaced.

Let me know what you find

Thank you

We have power in the red and nothing in the yellow.

Then the ignition switch has failed. If the switch does not conduct the 12 volts to the yellow wire when in the start position then it is burnt.

One last test, connect everything up and put your light on the red wire (use a straight pin along the wire into the connector to make contact) and check that you still show 12 volts while you turn the key to the start position. If you do replace the ignition switch.

let me know how I can help

Thank you

George,
Can you tell us how to take the steering column apart to take the old switch out and put the new one in.

I will see what I can find, there are screws on the bottom of the column that you remove then the shrouds come off.

Click here

And click here

I will see if I can find a video of this

Thank you George.

I am glad to help. I didn't find a video so you remove the shroud of the column and remove the dimmer switch then you can remove the ignition switch. I see new switches for about $160, shop around that is an AC Delco switch.

let me know how I can help

Thank you