Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Cadillac deville and recently have had battery…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Cadillac...
I have a 2001 Cadillac deville and recently have had battery and start problems-now the car won't start at all . It was starting and sometimes I had to put the key in the door and start it in neutral! Now it won't do that and it won't jump either! And when I tried to start it in neutral, it wouldn't recognize that I put it back to park on the dash indicater for like 2 mins what can I do ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
2/21/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the theft or security light coming on on the dash at all when it will not crank over?

Is the starter engaging at all?

Does the shifter recognize each gear position you select with the shifter at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

after we changed the battery the security light on the dash is coming on but the car would still start until yesterday by putting key in drivers door turning it left once the right twice then start it in neutral.
Now the engine just clicks- won't engage. And I can move the shifter but I have to rock the car back and forth then the display will show me the correct shifter position

O.k.,when it does show the correct shifter position does it then crank over and start?

No still just makes a clicking noise

Is the clicking noise coming from the starter or a relay under hood or can you tell?If you cannot tell can you check for me to see what area this noise is coming from?

I'll have to go check. How long do I have until I can't ask any more because the car isn't here it's broke down at a friends

You can come back here at any time and post.If I am not online when you reply I will reply as soon as I can.

It sounds like you may have a faulty neutral safety switch on the transmission where the shifter connects as this is a common component to fail needing replaced or an issue with the starter itself needing replaced.If it is the starter clicking then the starter needs replaced.If it is a relay I would lean more on the neutral safety switch needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician