Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My oil pressure lite comes on whenever the car drops to 700…

Customer Question
My oil pressure lite...

My oil pressure lite comes on whenever the car drops to 700 rpm, but will go back off as soon as I increase the rpm 2004 Cadillac deville

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I had a oil change and the lifters were making some noise, so I took it to a mechanic and he added something to quiet the lifters, after that the oil lite would come on whenever I went to an idle position

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

It would depend on what the problem is and the cost via a mechanic doing the work. I am 74 years old and we have had the car from new and because we don't drive a lot, we would like to keep it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?

I just had the transmission rebuilt, replace pan and lifter gasket, however the lifters make some noise.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
2/20/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician

I am sorry your having this problem

the odds are this engine has low oil pressure due to a failing oil pump or the crank / bottom end bearings have opened up and are out of spec which would cause low oil pressure'when the lifters where making noise the oil pressure was low and not able to have enough pressure to pump up the lifters the additive just thickens up the oil and will sometimes help with the noise

the car needs a mechanical oil pressure gauge connected to the engine and test the oil pressure

the odds are it will be too low and i am sorry to say the engine would need to come apart to be fixed

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

ok - I had that checked and they reported that the pressure at idle was at 5-8 lbs. Could the thicker stuff put into the oil to quiet the lifters cause the oil filter or pump not able to pump the pressure at low rpms

the thicker stuff added was to mask a low oil pressure issue inside this engine

the odds are if tested again and the oil pressure is 35 PSI at 2000 RPM and over 5 PSI at idle hot then the oil pressure sensor is bad BUT if those lifters were making noise i think this problem is going to be more than an oil pressure sensor

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do mot get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

ggrote1
ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician