Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My wife parked her 2009 cts 4 the other night. Overnight…

Customer Question
My wife parked her 2009...
My wife parked her 2009 cts 4 the other night. Overnight temperatures dropped to 30 below 0, the car has not started since and when I turn key the engine make a whining noise and turns over real slow for a few seconds but will not start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
2/16/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like the battery is low, have you tried jump starting it yet?

I did try to jump start with same results, I also suspected battery so I replaced with brand new, car gives same response

How cold is it now, where the car is parked?

It's about 38 degrees and it is still in the driveway outside

ok, if the battery is new, and its that warm, suspect a starter, does it sill turn over real slow?

very slow

ok, this can be caused by either a bad starter, a bad ground from th battery to the engine, or an internl engine problem, have you checked the ground at the engine block, where the neg battery cable attaches?

I looked at it, it doesn't look terrible but I could disconnect and clean up a bit
Everything else appears to be working

if the ground is good, then it can only be a bad starter, another possibility is the POS battery cable, is corroded inside and not allowing enough amps to turn the starter, this can be checked with an ohm meter, the resistance of the pos battery cable should be real close to zero, if it is, then suspect the starter, like I said, its going to be int he battery cables the connections, or the starter, or an internal problem in the engine, which is unlikely, unlees you did not have enough antifreeze in it, and the block froze and cracked,Tim

Do you still need help with this?