Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have 2008 Escalade that stinks of fumes and has soot in cab.

Customer Question
Have 2008 Escalade that...

Have 2008 Escalade that stinks of fumes and has soot in cab. Can't find exhaust leak. Changed air filter. Getting worse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Didn't leak a few years ago. Is getting worse. Smells just like fresh burnt gas air mixture. Cant hear or see any leaks. Step on the gas and it gets worse immediately.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
2/13/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago
Joe Prestia

Do you hear a ticking noise from under the hood? Is there holes rusted through the rear wheel wells underneath? If you plug off the exhaust with an old t-shirt while the engine is running can you hear the source of the leak?

Cadillac Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Any luck finding your exhaust leak my restricting the flow from the tailpipe?

We do not hear any ticking. Had dealer look for leaks. The fumes come directly in through the air vents... if you step on the gas you get a blast of it. Doesn't matter if AC is on or off. Tried sealing better around hood in front of air intakes and no difference.
Cleaned out can air system filter. Area has grey green fine soot on everything. Made no difference. Can't drive car anymore till problem is fixed..
Cadillac Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

MY immediate suspicion is that either your EGR valve is leaking or you have a cracked exhaust manifold. Call and ask a local shop if they have a smoke machine and have the system smoked for leaks. Will be easy to find if as bad as you say.

I will check those items. EGR and manifold and get back in a day or two. Thx mc
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician