Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My name is ***** *****, I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS that we

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS that we had started with remote start. The car had just shut off and we got in it and it wouldn't start no clicking, Nothing. Had battery checked it is good. Changed batteries in key fob, will lock and unlock with key fob and mirror lights and tail lights will flash but the front yellow light will not flash and horn will not honk when locking the car. Also have ground off paint on under back seat ground to make sure grounded good. Have also checked battery cables for corrosion. Haven't messed with it for a week so now the Battery light is on and says service battery charging system and ABS, Low Tire, Traction? lights are on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Didn't notice these lights before.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cadillac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a volt Meter? Can you check the battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Sam, Yes I have 12.7 volts on battery.
Let me catch you up to the latest we have tried it has been setting for about a week. Today we went out to try again to start it doing the same thing . Prior to contacting you we had read online that could be corrosion on cable between the connector and the cable under the shrink wrap. So took battery connections off battery under back seat and positive cable under the hood that hooks to the fuse box loose stripped back the shrink wrap to check for corrosion there was none. But when everything was connected back put the key back in and turned it on still no start now dash indicator is saying Service Air Bag and Hood is Open and no obstruction under hood so it is shut securely and now Key won't come out.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Please send me your VIN Number. So I can make sure I am getting you the correct information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN 1G6KD57YX6U214133 Is this for phone calls back and forth until we get this resolved like the email is? or is it per phone call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not sure how all this works
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

We can do the email back and forth. Do you have a scanner available? If yes please specify brand and model

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking about a vehicle diagnostic scanner?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK. Start with checking the fuse for shifter sol under back seat. 10 amp fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will Check fuse again. We had checked all fuses and didn't see any blown fuses. We don't have scanner with us will have to get scanner info tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Scanner we have is OBD Link SX.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We checked all fuses with a tester to start with. Just double checked Shifter fuse and it is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still on??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now what????
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Lift up the console and check the shifter yellow wire for power with key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got the key unstuck
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it still won't start
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a security light on dash?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching a theft relearn procedure. Lets start here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No security light on Will try the Theft Relearn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had tried one security or relearn procedure and it didn't work. The security light isn't staying on but 10 sec, only briefly when you when you try to start or turn the key on then it goes off. We have the bottom off of the steering column and the only way to get the key out is to push the release button. So with the security light not staying on how do we do the relearn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you take the console apart with out damaging the wood grain?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
I will get you directions. If you have key out don't do this now. When you turn key to start what happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing No clicking nothing
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Does your scanner have data? See if you have a gear position parameter and make sure it says P or N. Also look for a starter inhibit yes or no parameter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to find out is our scanner has those features. Really don't know details about the scanner.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Here is a pretty reasonable priced scanner. Make sure you get the GM Enhanced software. Have it for laptop or smart phone