Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How can I test ignition switch on 2007 cts?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
1/25/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician replied 2 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
Because the Security System shuts down a few components, use of GM Scan Tool is needed to Test, Reset & Program
apprx 1 hour labor
Customer Input is limited to testing Voltage at the Ignition Switch wires, because of DATA to the BCM & PCM

Constant 12 volts = RED/WHITE AT REAR FUSE BLOCK
Ignition 12 volts = PINK IGNITION AT SWITCH
Ignition #2 ORANGE = IGNITION AT SWITCH
Accessory = BROWN
Starter = YELLOW AT IGNITION SWITCH (with key held in crank position)

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.

Okay. I am not having no crank. Installed new battery. Fuses all good. No crank at all. I jump starter relay in fuse box and I have crank but will not start. Is there anything else I can check?

I posted what can be tested above.........
Both Ignition wires PINK & ORANGE need Voltage +
PINK while cranking
YELLOW for Starter (crank)
Be sure the "Security Light" is Not flashing when Key is turned ON & to Crank position

hello?

Hello I'm doing the testing now. But just a thought could it be my crank position sensor? I'm not thinking so because the car will not crank at all from the key. But thought I would ask

But just a thought could it be my crank position sensor

??

has nothing to do with cranking

please test voltage + on wires at the ignition switch as I posted

also, you have not mentioned if Security Light is on or flashing

No security light is not on not flashing.

IF the Security Light is NOT ON, Flashing or does not appear at all, then use of GM Scan Tool is needed to Test BCM & PCM for Trouble Codes & issues
All Voltage Test will show is if the Ignition Switch has power in ON & Crank position
I posted info for your question of;
It appears you may have an issue with the BCM & / or PCM

.

Pink has 12v which key on. Orange and yellow no power with key on. Orange and yellow no power while turning key to crank

please be sure you are testing as I posted
YELLOW will only have Voltage when Key is held in Crank position
.

PINK should have Voltage with Key ON
PINK & YELLOW should have Voltage with Key held in Crank position
.

IF still no Voltage on ORANGE or YELLOW, then you need use of GM Scan Tool

.

Pink is the only wire with voltage. It is only with key on. It has voltage in on position and while trying to crank. Orange and yellow no voltage. Not in the on position, not in the cranking postion. Is this a bad ignition switch?

IF "both" RED / WHITE wires have Voltage + & the ORANGE or YELLOW does not when in Crank, then the Switch is bad
IF one of the RED / WHITE wires do not have Voltage +, then there is a bad connection, wire or Blown Fuse in rear Fuse Center

OK I will double check both red whites for voltage right now. But I do believe they do. If it is a bad switch is it just a plug in and it's good or does it need to be programmed? Also noticed that the engine light is on while cranking. That is only light on the cluster. Sorry just noticed it. I'm on the side of a freeway and trying to do this. So thank you for all the help so far

sorry for the delay...............ice & snow
let me know the outcome

thank you

Power to both red and white wires. No power to orange or yellow wires. While cranking.

IF there is NO Voltage to the YELLOW wire with Key in Crank position, then the Switch is bad or you have a bad connection
Be sure there is no other YELLOW Starter wire in the Ignition Swith Harness at the Switch

Ignition #2 ORANGE = IGNITION AT SWITCH
Accessory = BROWN

.

.
.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service