Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

There was a fault code on my 07 esv so I unhooked the

Customer Question

Hello Dave, There was a fault code on my 07 esv so I unhooked the battery (positive first because I am the type that has to learn the hard way) When I hooked the battery back up, everything seems to work except the power locks, lift gate & the truck wont start. I have seen the same problem in many forumns but none of the threads say what the problem was. They must get their stuff fixed and forget about it. What do you think is the issue?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should be my next step to remedy this?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases if it will not crank the computer will set and store a fault code and or code as well s the body control module for the locks and lift gate. Can you start with scanning the system again and see if there are any new codes setting and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a code scanner as of now. We called on star and the code they show is U0140. I have seen several Escalades and Suburbans with this identical issue in forums but no one seems to update the forums after the problem is solved.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The code U0140 can be set by any of the following.

• Body Control Module (BCM)
  • DLIS Fuse
  • Ignition Switch
  • Ignition Switch Wiring

In order to determine which has failed you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/U0140%20Jan%2013.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is this plug for the ignition switch, is it under the ignition switch or at the back of the steering column?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its at the ignition switch on the column opposite of the the key and tumbler.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have to remove the lower cover? If so how do you remove the tilt handle?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Here is what GM offers. See the link below. If you have enver done this type of repair before you may want to consider having it professionally done because you could mess of the theft system and end up worse off.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Ign%20Jan%2013.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me ask you this, If I get it narrowed down to the BCM, can this be programmed on the bench at the dealership or will they need the truck with everything plugged in.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

They will need the truck, the information from the old one will need to be downloaded and reloaded into the new one. In most cases they like to have the truck there .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do they program it if the old one is fried?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

They can usually retrieve the information from it and if not they can still come up with it. You really do not know if its actually fried at this point.