Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My name is ***** *****. I'm have an 2001 deville that is

Customer Question
Customer: Hi my name is...
Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****. I'm have an 2001 deville that is running hot. I just put in a new radiator and T-stat and still same problem. Installed after market adjustable fan relay switch also. Fans are kicking in at proper temp. still same problem. Water pump maybe bad? Not losing any fluid and the recovery tank still has pressure after sitting all night and removing cap...any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It runs fine ..plenty of power just runs real hot and then over heats after about 20 min. or so. no coolant leaks on the ground except out of the recovery tank over flow when it gets hot. I put a new cap on the tank too
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure ..I need the help and thought if it could possibly be a head gasket it wouldn't be able to hold pressure over night in the tank,right?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
1/6/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. The most common cause of an overheating problem on this vehicle is a leaking head gasket. You should start with a block test. A block test kit is available at most auto parts stores. It detects the presence of exhaust fumes in the coolant which would indicate a bad gasket. Many times it leaks enough just to allow combustion pressure into the cooling system. If it passes the test then it may be a bad water pump that is not circulating coolant correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if my head gasket is bad then how would i still have pressure in the recovery tank the next morning?wouldn't it have bled back out of the system by the next day....it still had pressure after 5 days of sitting in the drive

No. Typically when the leak is small enough it works like a check valve. It only allows the high pressure from combustion to enter the cooling system and not go back out. A large leak would bleed off but that would also typically cause steam from the exhaust. The fact that there is still pressure after 5 days is even more of an indication of a head gasket issue, as a functioning system will allow the pressure to bleed off due to normal expansion and contraction. If the pressure cap has not been replaced then that is the only other thing that can cause residual pressure if it is not bypassing at its specified pressure.

FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician