Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a 1990 allante was drivingand it just cut off. I

Customer Question
Hello i have a 1990...
Hello i have a 1990 allante was drivingand it just cut off. I coasted to shoulder and put n park .gauges show nothing when i turn switch on. Motor well turn over but wont crank.light will not come on got any idea thanks for your help carl
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Amedee, Cadillac Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician

Hi Carl,

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. I need a few more things from you in order to point you in the right direction. Does the engine now crank over and not start or does it not even crank over at all? Can I start by getting your VIN?

Motor turn over but doesnt crank vin
1G6vr3388lu100037

Thank you for that information. Do you know if there is spark going to the spark plugs? Does the engine run on starting fluid?

For about a week when i crank car dash light flicker for few seconds. I was just driving and it cut off. Now no lights .turn key on no gauges but car will turn over but no crank

I understand that. I am asking if you know if the engine has spark when cranking over?

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician