Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 caddy has problem burning up fuel pump relays. checked…

Customer Question
2009 caddy has problem burning...
2009 caddy has problem burning up fuel pump relays. checked ground in trunk to harness, swapped out relays 2 times &replaced fuel pump module.. still has issues
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
12/22/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the terminal fit to the relay is loose meaning loose contact between the terminals and relay this will cause heat on the terminals and melt or damage the relays causing this here.This is one of the most common causes for relay burning up or failure with the terminals for the relays needing replaced.If this has not been checked this should be done to see if this is the cause here.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

waqs not loose until original burnt and slighhtly melted pin position.. will need to try and tighten pin if this all you think that it is..what caused initial problem?

The initial problem is usually caused by a fuel pump drawing to many amps.This heats up and damages the relay.So since the pump was replaced already and all wiring is o.k. if the pins are loose they will need tightened or replaced to correct this here and then the relay replaced again and should be good to go from there.I have seen this quite a few times before in the past.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

pulled wire plug off bottom of fuse/relay box off and still dont have access to pin.. how do you dissassemble to repair terminal as requested? do you need to replace entire fusebox?

My info isnt showing me on this model here how this is removed and replaced unfortunately.On some models the entire fuse panel needs replaced.You can contact a GM dealers parts department and they can look it up in their computer to see if any of the terminals are serviced seperately in the fuse panel or if the entire panel needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

just throwing this out there before we commit to sinking alot of money into this car. If there was to much alcohol in fuel will this cause fuel pump to draw more amps causing this issue..

The alcohol shouldnt cause the pump to draw to many amps as the pump would operate normally with alcohol in the tank.It is recommended though to use the proper fuel for this model here.

Thanks Pete

waiting on parts.. thaks and goodnite.

O.k. let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete