Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2004 Deville DTS and began the task of replacing

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Deville DTS and began the task of replacing the heater core. I have most of the dash removed and the center console moved back, but cannot get the steering column support nuts off ( to remove the sub-frame) because the bolts spin freely and there is no room to grab them. Also, this is a much more complicated job than the Haynes manual led me to believe it was so I need to know what else needs to be removed and any tips for replacing the actual heater core and reassembly. Perhaps the GM/Cadillac service manual pages?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, heater core that is a big job by doING it yourself you have saves a lot of money. And thanks for the question

Okay I'll start with a couple things to be aware of. To remove the heater core you have to remove the case which is behind the dash which also has the evaporater core you will have to discharge the ac, it's under alot of pressure so be sure and use proper equipment. Next when dropping the steering column don't allow the wheel to turn on the column because of the clock spring. Don't pry on anything be sure take all screws the case has some inside some out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Specifically - what do you mean by "be sure take all screws the case has some inside some out". I need more details on specifically what must be removed to access the HVAC box? Illustrations from the GM service manual or step by step instructions is what I need. If you are not able to provide, then I may need someone else to help me.

I can get you thr factory manual but I doubt it would benefit you more. Might I suggest youtube, watching a video of it being done usually helps more. That and me helping you you can do this I can do phone calls if needed. The bolts you asking about I want to be sure are you talking about the single bolt holding the column to rack or thr bolts under the dash securing column?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bolts under the dash that essentially hold the column assembly to the sub dash. I was not planning to remove the steering column if possible. I appreciate speaking in person versus sending emails, but I am not willing to pay extra for that at this point; however that may change as we progress. Please keep in mind I started the repair yesterday and will not be able to implement any of your recommendations until this evening and may need to continue our conversation tonight or tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, If there was a YouTube video of this complicated repair, I would have already viewed it and would not need your assistance. If you find one or have one - please share.

Yes sir I will look and will be hear this afternoon just message me when ready

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, what about having to remove the steering column versus removing the steering column support bolts? How is this accomplished? Does the sub-dash need to be removed? What needs to be removed to gain access to the heater core? What tips can you provide regarding the actual removal - if any? I want to know the next steps so I can get to work once I am able this evening.

Yes sir one thing i do and i dont beleive the manual tells you to do this is I remove the seats only a few bolts hold them in and with them out of the way you can lay down and have more room. And about the column once you take off the knee bolster or lower dash panel there will be two bolts holding the coumn to dash take those out and just let the collumn lay down you don't have to remove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is the trim piece over the front seat bolts removed so I don't damage it? I have the driver side knee bolster and support piece remove as well as the front 2 bolts (closest to the steering wheel removed and the steering column does not "lay down" nor can I remove the sub-dash frame to gain access to the HVAC box. I need you to either provide illustrations or photos or refer me to someone who has actually performed this repair. I have the whole dash removed including all trim pieces, instrument cluster, radio, climate control, glove box, center console, etc and I still cannot gain access or understand how to gain access to the heater core. If the dash sub-frame doesn't need to be removed, then you need to explicitly explain what needs to be done next... I have no intention to sit on the computer once I re initiate my activity to complete this repair - that is what this exchange is intended to accomplish. If you feel a "Live Phone Call" is the only way to help me, then waive the additional fee.

Sir I can tell by your tone you are frustrated, and with that mindset perhaps i am not the one to help you. You are doing a frustrating repair, and just so you know i have probably put over 50 at least of the heater core or actuator i have done this job many times. I am sorry for your frustration. I will give you a copy of the factory service manual

Change Vehicle

• 2004
  • Cadillac
  • DeVille
  • 4.6L Eng
  • DTS

Recalls/Campaigns

• Tools
  • Logout

1Search™

Search

Show

Common Specs & Procedures

Fluid Capacities

Tire Fitment

Reset Procedures

Service Manual

Wiring Diagrams

DTC Index

Electrical Component Locations

Technical Bulletins

Feedback

Change Vehicle

• 2004
    • Cadillac
    • DeVille
    • 4.6L Eng
    • DTS

Recalls/Campaigns

• Tools
    • Logout

1Search™

Search

Show

Common Specs & Procedures

Fluid Capacities

Tire Fitment

Reset Procedures

Service Manual

Wiring Diagrams

DTC Index

Electrical Component Locations

Technical Bulletins

Feedback

Change Vehicle

• 2004
      • Cadillac
      • DeVille
      • 4.6L Eng
      • DTS

Recalls/Campaigns

• Tools
      • Logout

1Search™

Search

Show

Common Specs & Procedures

Fluid Capacities

Tire Fitment

Reset Procedures

Service Manual

Wiring Diagrams

DTC Index

Electrical Component Locations

Technical Bulletins

Feedback

Sir my apologies having problems with there software here as sending you the information if I had an email perhaps but I dont want to get a negative rating from you so I think I can best please you by opting out someone else will pick up your question. Have a Merry Christmas and Good luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
        Excellent - it is good to hear you have performed 50+ replacements. Does the sub-frame need to be removed to gain access to the heater core? If it does, then the remaining bolts need to be removed to allow the sub-frame to be removed - how is this accomplished? If not, how is the heater core accessed?