FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Sts 2006 v6 engine sounds rough like something loose inside

Customer Question

Sts 2006 v6 engine sounds rough like something loose inside engine when at idle. Is it possible the timing chain slapping around is what I hear? 120,000 miles is the timing chain something that is changed on this motor in its lifetime normally
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. The most common failure on this engine that will cause a noise like this is the timing chain. The guides wear out frequently and cause some serious noises. You need to pull the front cover and inspect it. You should be able to tell also if the noise is coming from the front of the engine. If it is then expect to replace the chain, guides and tensioners. If you need more help please let me know.