Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2001 seville occasionally will not crank. After trying a

Customer Question

2001 seville occasionally will not crank. After trying a couple of dozen times it cranks. This happens about 1 out of 20 times.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

I would start by checking the short ground cable that runs from the right front inner fender to the engine, attaching near the alternator. This cable has a habit of breaking, especially if you've ever had a broken front engine mount.

If that cable is OK, I'd be looking right at the starter circuit. It's easy to find, the wire going to the starter solenoid is right up on top of the engine, behind the PS pump. I'd put a test light to the purple wire to see if there's power there when cranking (this test needs to be performed when it fails to crank). If that wire has power on it in the START position, and the starter isn't turning, the problem is either that ground cable or a faulty starter.