Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I tried to get the camshaft sensor out of 2004 Cadillac

Customer Question
deville you have to take...
I tried to get the camshaft sensor out of 2004 Cadillac deville you have to take off oil filter and adapter cannot get to the third bolt holding adapter in to get to sensors . There has to be easier way
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
11/17/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, crank sensors? also, only 2 bolts hold the adapter so little confused, Sorry

I took two out but it still didn't come out it said on site that there was three in the adapter

did you take the lines off the adapter

That I trod and that's behind the motor mount I think that's what it is I just searched to buy new adapter just to see and they have 3 bolts I looked at video and these young guys were bitching about how hard it was to take. All 3 out I'm 67 and I tried two times
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

There are three bolts that hold the oil filter adapter on, it should come loose if you have the three bolts removed. It may stick to the engine, but a little persuasion will unstick it.

However, I don't remove the oil filter adapter when replacing crank sensors, if you have a 10mm universal socket and a long extension, you can get to those bolts on the sensors without removing the filter adapter.

Further, we did NOT have issues with crank sensors in 2004 Devilles, so I am worried why you're replacing them in the first place. Earlier Northstar engines had a lot of crank sensor failures, but 2004's never did. I might be able to help you properly diagnose this, if you can tell me why you're replacing them.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician