camerontech
camerontech, diagnostic auto tech
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

Im trying to find the locationof crankshaft position sensor

Customer Question

im trying to find the locationof crankshaft position sensor on a 2004 srx 3.6 when I hook the computer up to it I get multiple misfire codes I replaced the o2 sensors then the mis fire codes came up I replaced the spark plugs also still get the multipul misfire code I was told that it is the crank sensor even though the code does not come up for it is that true also
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer o rphone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

THe crank sensor is located on the rear right of the enging, close to the fly wheel on the block.

I have included a diagram for you.

lean o2 codes can be a sign of a vacuum leak, this can also cause misfires too if the system is too lean.

I would listen for any vacuum leaks (whistling) and than spray the intake manifold with intake cleaner to see if the engine changes. If there is a intake leak, than the engine will act different when you spray it on a vacuum leak.

A mass airflow sensor can also cause a lean codes, which of course will cause misfires as well due to the system being lean.

It will have to be scanned and watch the fuel trims to determing if your sensors are actting correctly.

A crank sensor can only be checked by putting a scope on it and watching the pattern.

Good luck and i hope you find the problem!

apositive rating is appreciated!

cam