FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

2011 Cadillac CTS-v. In May while driving car all gauges

Customer Question

2011 Cadillac CTS-v. In May while driving car all gauges went dead, tpms blinked warning, nav, stereo and turn signals didn't work, doors wouldn't open etc. Got home, shut off car, could not restart it. Towed to dealer, after 3 days of troubleshooting,
on star module was replaced and car was back to normal. Between May and October only drove car 200 miles, was out of country. (Car sat 60 days). Battery slightly down when returned but drove car 50 miles with no issues. After that same issue as I saw in May
came back- lost all gauges, nav stereo, doors wouldn't open. Left car running, apparently something reset and gauges came back. Next day same thing- lost gauges nav stereo turn signals. Left car running, after 10 mins reset. Drove to dealer lost gauges on
way. Every time I lost gauges it was after acceleration or hard turn. Car has been at dealer 10 days. Dealer cannot reproduce problem. Tells me no codes were thrown. Looking for ideas other than slightly soft battery. Thanks Mark
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mark. My name is***** you tell me if the battery has been replaced recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it has not.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. The most common things I have seen that cause this on your vehicle are either bad connections where the negative battery cable connects to the body or a integrated control module failure. A failing battery can also cause this but I have seen the cable connections cause this more often.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you be more specific. I believe there are many integrated control modules (26?) on the bus. Which ones have you seen fail, do you have access to any reliability data for them, etc. In particular failure of which control module would cause these symptoms?
On the battery ground to chassis that has been checked and verified ok.
thanks
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It is the Body Control Module under the center of the dash.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It can be hard to diagnose unless you have a scan tool that reads the BCM data so that you can monitor what it is doing.