Triston
Triston, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10yrs. exp ase master
10186415

2013 ATS with the 2.0l turbo threw a #4 misfire code as well

Customer Question

2013 ATS with the 2.0l turbo threw a #4 misfire code as well as a code for low boost on the turbocharger.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Triston replied 1 year ago.

Ignore the turbo charger code until you fix the misfire. There are special tools need to check a misfire on that car so the only thing that would be worth trying without tools is remove the number 4 coil and plug and swap with number one to see if the misfire move to the other cylinder, if it does replace the cool and plug, if it doesn't you need to do a compression test and have he injectors tested. Thanks please give a positive rating to I get credit and reply back any additional question you may have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagnosing the miss is an easy thing to do. Why do you say ignore the low boost of the turbo? Does a bad misfire effect the turbo enough for a code to be thrown? My concern is that I have heard these engines above all others create a bunch of sludge
from combustion which flows through the pvc and clogs the intercooler during normal driving but when the turbo is running at 20
lbs of boost it will suck through anything in the intercooler which would explain both codes. No offense Tristan but when I signed up the guy they said would be helping me was the actual owner of a Cadillac dealership. I was looking to get the experience of someone who works with these very rare engines on a daily basis and is familiar with the common problems that they share because they repair a couple a week at the dealership. Do you work at a Cadillac dealership or are you a general mechanic? I was hoping to get the experience of someone who has worked on these engines a lot. Since they were a rare option on the ATS and Chevy Malibu and were only used in 2013 and 2014, I would assume most were taken to the dealership under warranty. Thanks for your time....Ian
Expert:  Triston replied 1 year ago.

I don't work on those all the time button I've worked in them before. I'm ase and Gm master I work for Buick gmc but the Cadillac Chevy dealer across the street piss off enough people to where the come to my dealer for service, also they don't have real good techs there so I get the problem jobs from them. There are no common problem of the inter cooler getting clogged hit it is common for the clamps to be loose on the intercooler pipes causing this code to set but it will not cause a p0304 or a cylinder 4 misfire