Adam Legler
Adam Legler,
Experience:  Service Advisor at Antero Automotive
87664109

My escalade 2002. Power steering fluid leaking under brake

Customer Question

My escalade 2002. Power steering fluid leaking under brake fluid bottle. It's affecting brakes
What is problem
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. The device that you are referring to is called you hydro-boost. This unit uses hydraulic fluid from your power steering pump to create power assistance for your brakes. It is common to see power steering fluid leaks from this area as there are many components that are failure prone.

To begin, we need to identify the source of the leak by first cleaning the affected area off with a spray on degreaser, such as brake clean, and then ensuring the power steering fluid is topped off. Be careful not to spray anything around the cap for the brake fluid reservoir! Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs humidity from the air rendering it bad.

The next step would be to run the vehicle and attempt to identify the source of your leak. I have attached a part diagram that may assist you. It lists the various parts of the system. Basically there are 3 hoses, 2 are pressurized and have hard lines that screw into the hydro boost unit and 1 is a simple fluid return Line that is connected with a hose clamp. The other place I've seen these leak commonly are where the brake master cylinder bolts up to the hydro boost unit.

Please reply back and let me know your results. I look forward to helping and please let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Hello again! Are you still needing help for your escalade? Please let me know how I can be of assitance.