Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Am.having.a.problem.trying.to.slide.the.tcc.solenoid.into.pl

Customer Question
ace...there.is.a.metal.pin.deep.in.the.hole.not.letting.the.solenoid.go.in.all.the.way...how.the.i.move.the.pin.out.of.the.way.?......
am.having.a.problem.trying.to.slide.the.tcc.solenoid.into.pl ace...there.is.a.metal.pin.deep.in.the.hole.not.letting.the.solenoid.go.in.all.the.way...how.the.i.move.the.pin.out.of.the.way.?...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
9/21/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

You must be trying to install the TCC solenoid into the wrong hole. There isn't a pin in the TCC solenoid hole.

i.don't.think.so...i.am.trying.to.put.it.in.the.same.hole.the.old.one.was.in...but.there's.a.little.metal.pin.across.the.hole.deep.inthere.preventing.me.to.slide.it.all.the.way.in...it.kinda.looks.like.a.little.metal.valve...

There is a valve in there, and there is a pin in there, but it is recessed far enough in to allow the solenoid to fully install. The pin isn't in the way.

You removed the hairpin-type clip before you removed the solenoid, yes?

That pin is not in your way. That's not holding you up.

I see that you didn't fully remove the side cover. How did you access the retainer clip with the side cover in the way?

i.removed.the.hair.clip.already...
when.i.slide.the.solenoid.in.it.doesn't.fully.go.in...

The solenoid will normally give you a little resistance going in, it almost "clicks" or "snaps" into place when it's fully seated. But that pin down in the hole is not the issue. Just try giving that solenoid a little force and see if it doesn't snap into place so you can install the hairpin clip.

And giving it a firm push doesn't make it go the rest of the way in? It has to overcome the O ring as it installs, this is what gives it a little resistance, but a firm push with your thumb should get it to go in.

no...i.keep.trying.to.push.it.in.but.it.doesn't.want.to.go.in.any.deeper...
isn't.that.pin.suppose.to.be.out.of.the.way.to.allow.the.solenoid.to.go.in.all.the.way.?...

No, that pin holds the valve in place in the valve body, fluid flows past this pin and pushes on the valve behind the pin when the solenoid opens. You only need to remove that pin if you are overhauling the valve body.

Did you try putting any lubricant on the O ring before installing it? If the O ring is dry it will be really hard to install.

but.still...it.doesn't.wanna.go.in.deep.enough.for.me.to.install.the.clip...

Let's do this: use a piece of wire or whatever you have handy, and take a measurement from the top of the bore, to where that pin is. There has to be some rational explanation for this, and taking a measurement carefully against the solenoid to determine where that is catching or bottoming out.

It looks to me that the hole is deep enough to seat that solenoid, frankly. I don't think there's anything else in the way.

Compare this solenoid to the old one and make sure they're the same diameter and all that.

can you get me a clearer picture of that bore? The mirror image is too blurry for me to make out what I want to see.

That is pretty good.

I don't see a thing wrong here. There's no way that pin has moved or anything like that, it just isn't the pin.

Did the whole hairpin clip come out? I see what looks like might be part of a clip left in that hole. Do you have a picture of the clip?

OK, that answers that.

Back to the same short answer, unless there is some physical difference between the old and new solenoids, there isn't one reason why it shouldn't install. Does the old one go back into the hole?

i have to step away from my desk for about an hour, maybe longer, but I will be back. Still, I don't see one good reason why that solenoid won't install unless it's the wrong one.

that.pin.goes.there.then.?...

Yes, that pin belongs there. Perfectly normal, and it can't move unless you remove the valve body. The pin is definitely NOT your problem.

ok...so you think that the reason why the solenoid isn't lining up in place with the clip is because the solenoid is slightly longer than the one it actually takes?

Assuming that your old solenoid and your new solenoid are exactly the same (I shouldn't assume, you should be looking at this), there isn't one reason I can think of for why that solenoid won't go in.

Did you try installing the old one to see that it goes in? And if it does, wouldn't you then want to compare it to the new one to see what the physical difference is between the two? Did you get a GM solenoid, and do we know it's the correct part number?

i don't have the old solenoid anymore... It broke in 2 pieces when i pulled it out and i threw it away... I will have to get another one to then compare them... I got this one from the auto part store after i asked them for the tcc solenoid for a 2000 cadillac sls...

From here, it looks a lot like the correct solenoid, but I can't be certain. I thought they were all the same across GM, but I am not certain of that, either.

A GM solenoid would be what I would try next, if I were in your position. Your dealer should have these in stock, if you live near a reasonably large dealership.

What tools do you use to put the clip in?

The clip just pushes in, but I have never attempted to do it with the side cover still installed. That's a tough angle.

So what did you find wrong with the solenoid?

ok...i went to the cadillac dealer to buy another one and this one fit like a glove...it even clicked in place...

Perfect!

You're going to have a challenge getting that clip in with the room you have to work, but with some ingenuity, I think you can get it.

I've never seen anyone do what you're doing there, that's pretty hardcore. We just put them on the lift and drop the transmission sideways out of the car, enough to get that cover all the way off.

yeah...i payed twice as much for the solenoid at cadillac than i did at autozone but at least it fit...

Autozone is terrible, unless you want wiper blades or brake pads. Never buy an item like this from anywhere except the dealer, this solenoid is too much work to replace, to even think about using a lesser quality part.

thank.you...just.got.it.on...;-)...you've.been.great.and.very.resourceful...thank.you...

Excellent, good luck with it!

now it doesn't want to grab 1st gear and reverse...
i put the solenoid in with the clip and put everything back together...took it for a test drive but it doesn't wanna to grab reverse or first... I can only drive it on drive but the take off feels sluggish until it engages second gear...then it rides fine at highway speed... Why do you think that is?
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician