Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2005 deville just stalled and won't restart has new crank

Customer Question

2005 deville just stalled and won't restart has new crank sensors have fuel pressure just spins with no fire
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

How much fuel pressure do you have? Did you measure it with a gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure is fine

Not to belabor this point, but fuel pressure needs to meet specification. Being that fuel pumps have a high failure rate, we are well advised to not just gloss over this very important step, do you know what the fuel pressure is on the gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I remember correctly about 50

OK.

Do you have a scan tool that reads live data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. When cranking the engine, does the scan tool show any RPM, or does it stay at 0?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shows rpms

OK, good. There is nothing wrong with the crank sensor circuits.

What is the coolant temp reading? Intake air temp reading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coolant 82
intake 84

Is the engine cool, and is the ambient temp also around 84? Is that F or C?

Hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine, and see if it tries to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its about 82 f and same thing happens with throttle wide open

Alright. I assume no trouble codes stored, yes?

Do you have a test light? I'd like to take a test light attached to ground, open the fuse box under the hood, and just touch the tops of each fuse, on both sides of each fuse. What this will tell us is whether power is present at the fuse, and whether the fuse is good (each fuse should light up a test light on both sides, if not, that fuse is open).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already checked them all

I am going to be leaving my desk in a few moments, and won't be back for a bit. So, let me give you some further steps in case that doesn't pan out.

If this were in my shop, I'd want to see whether it has spark and fuel. This is hard on Deville, as the coils don't allow you to check for spark very easily, but you can remove the coil, keep it plugged in, and place the towers close enough to ground to verify that they make spark when cranking. Also, you can use that test light to check for power at an injector (doesn't matter which one), and also to verify that the other wire at the injector is being pulsed to ground when cranking.

It would seem that you've lost either spark, fuel, or both. I would be wanting to find ways to determine which of those things it is. Also, if you add fuel to the intake (such as spraying carburetor cleaner into the throttle) does it try to start?

I will check back later today and will be happy to continue on, I am not abandoning you.