Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Have a Allante that's been garaged couple years. Just

Customer Question

Have a Allante that's been garaged for a couple years. Just replaced the battery and about to try starting it. Anything I should check before turning the key?
Linc
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Check and make sure the engine oil is full and no water or contamination is in the oil.Check and make sure all pulleys move freely and that the engine coolant level is o.k.

I would also check for any leaks that may have occurred while it sat.

Then turn on the key once for about 5 seconds then switch the key off and wait 8 seconds then turn on the key again (without cranking over the engine) and check over the fuel lines and fuel components for any fuel leaking.

Make sure all spark plug wires are in tact and in place and no wiring damage has occurred.If these are all found to be o.k. then try and start it and see if it runs.If it runs but runs poorly or smokes the fuel may need replaced in the fuel tank.I would then re check for any leaks and any abnormal smells from the engine bay area.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.