Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My battery went dead now my radio wont work

Customer Question
My battery went dead...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
8/27/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? Do you have a theft lock light flashing on your car's radio?

There are no codes to reset this so it may only require a hard reset. Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
Should this not work then I regret to tell you that you might need to get the radio reprogrammed. Below is the description of the theft system.

Radio

The “Theftlock” theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the “run” power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from the dash integration module (DIM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

1. A radio is installed from another vehicle
  2. The DIM is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the “Theftlock” DTC for further information.

Digital Radio Receiver

The digital radio receiver utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if it is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the digital radio receiver receives the “run” power mode message, it compares the VIN information received from the dash integration module (DIM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the digital radio receiver is locked. This will occur if a digital radio receiver is installed from another vehicle. The digital radio receiver cannot be unlocked, it must be replaced.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic