Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My 2002 Escalade AWD (6.0L) gets "Hopping" when i turn after

Customer Question

My 2002 Escalade AWD (6.0L) gets "Hopping" when i turn after 25 miles of driving or so (thus I conclude thermal issue?). Particularly loud noise from driver front wheel when turning left. Could it be Differential (fluid changed with small amount of metal in fluid, still does the hopping after)? Also had transfer case fluid changed with proper GM fluid (expensive), and also no resolution. Both fluids were full and no leaks.
I see many comments with this same issue, but no defined resolution without a trial-and-error suggestion, which will cost 1000's. Ideas?
Your advise would be appreciated!
Thank you, Troy
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** is not caused by the front differential, it is caused by a bad viscous coupler in the transfer case, the viscous coupler lets the front wheels slip when turning on dry pavement, and it is a common failure in all AWD's, if you have already changed the fluid in the transferm and it still continues, then the viscous coupler will need to be replaced, did it have any effect on the problem when you changed the fluid?