Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I HAVE A 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE EXT AWD... ISSUES WITH THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE EXT AWD... I'M HAVING ISSUES WITH THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL SOUNDS LIKE GRINDING NOISE... IS IT POSSIBLE TO REMOVE THE FRONT AXLE AND DRIVESHAFT AND USE IT AS A 2WD???
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
Sorry to say but that will not work. This is because the transfer case has gearing inside that allows difference in speeds between front and back, so taking out the front will first allow lost power to the front but will also prevent park from working and holding the vehicle when parked. You would be far better to either replace the diff as an assembly or repair which ever bearing is bad.