Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

How to diagnose bad purge valve symptoms?

Customer Question
How to diagnose a bad...

How to diagnose a bad vapor canister on a 2003 Cadillac CTS? What are purge valve symptoms?

My 2003 cts 3.2 engine wont start after fueling unless I go full throttle. I’ve read that almost everyone fix their problem by changing the vapor canister purge valve, but I removed mine and checked it by applying 12volts and ground. It seems like it’s working fine, it clicks and I also blew thru the valve with no power on it and its sealed. Also, sucked on it and no air passed thru until applying 12volts. Replaced vent solenoid, the one that goes inside the canister cause its only 30 bucks. Still acting the same when fueling. I have codes for o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 that I have not replace and just got crankshaft position sensor code recently. No issues after being able to start the car. I have a scanner and manually opened the purge valve to 100 and the car stumbled and quit running. Did the same thing with the vent valve triggered it on and the car quit. I reset the values and car ran fine as usually. Problem only happens after adding fuel.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
8/12/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

This situation continues, these vapors can flood the engine cylinders, resulting in an abnormal fuel mixture getting created and burned. This causes the engine to misfire and choke.

2) Failure to Clear Emission Tests

Every car on the road is required to pass the sate-sanctioned emission test, which imposes an upper-limit on the various gases and pollutants that come out through a car's exhaust. If the canister purge valve malfunctions, it may be unable to redirect the fuel vapors back into the emission system. These vapors contain harmful hydrocarbons, which will then escape through the car's exhaust, and therefore show up in the emission tests. Thus, if your car fails the emission test, its purge valve may be at fault.

3) Damaged Gaskets

A normally functioning purge valve releases fuel vapors into the charcoal canister, where they are stored until they are recycled. A bad purge may not open to allow these vapors to pass. As a result, pressure will start to build inside the system. This pressure can be so intense that it can blow out the gasket and rubber seals, causing oil to leak and get sprayed out of the emission system and onto the engine and engine compartment. If left unresolved, this will create even more severe issues.

4) Damaged Spark Plugs

A faulty purge valve may by unable to redirect the fuel vapors into the engine's cylinders for combustion. As a result, an unnecessarily rich fuel and air mixture will get combusted during each cycle of the engine. This produces extra heat, which in the long run will wear out the spark plugs. Thus, if your car's spark plugs seem to have worn out earlier than expected, most likely, the purge valve in your car is not functioning properly.

What should I test to find my problem? I replaced the evap vent solenoid. Checked purged solenoid by applying 12 volts it opens and close. Triggered both solenoids with scanner. Engine shuts off when triggered. What should I do?

If it shuts of when you trigger the solenoids then I would replace the purge valve because it shouldn't shut off

Okay. My scanner gives me the option of the purge valve and what percent I want it. I gave the purge valve 100%. That’s when the engine stumbled and then shut off. So, it should not do that? If this is my problem, I’ve looked for that purge valve everywhere literally. Where can I order it from? My car has the 3.2 engine.

Even though it’s for the 3.6 its compatible with my engine? Supposedly the one that's for my car comes with the lines attached to the solenoid. Just want to verify before ordering.

I ran a compatibly check it will work.

If you need anything else please let me know and rate my service when you get the chance.

featured content

Purge valve troubleshooting

The most frequent issue with apurgevalve is when it remains open or partially open. Either issue may trigger the "Check Engine” or other error codes. A faulty purgevalve may preventthe vehicle from starting after refueling.A malfunctioning purge valve often emits unusually high exhaust which could make the vehicle fail emissions testing. When fumes build-up in the fuel lines it can cause the vehicle to backfire or stall.

Faulty purge valve symptoms

Fault code or Check Engine light

A common sign of a faulty purge valve is a fault code or check engine light that displays in the instrument panel. To determine what is causing the fault code or warning light have the car placed on a diagnostic scanner.

Difficulty starting
A problem with the purge valve can cause a vacuum leak. When there is a vacuum leak, this can cause the vehicle to have problems starting. A vacuum leak will allow excess air into the motor, which disturbs the air-fuel ratio causing performance issues.

Rough idle
A faulty purged valve may cause the engine to idle roughly. If the purge valve sticks open, it affects the idle speed and performance quality. A vacuum leak can also stem from damaged or detached purge valve hoses.

Engine Misfire
A purge valve can cause the engine to misfire. If the purged valve does not open on time, it may cause excessive fuel emissions buildup in the charcoal canister. Over time, the emissions buildup can flood the engine cylinders, resulting in an irregular fuel mixture causing the engine to misfire or stall.

Testing the purge valve 

The testing procedure may be different depending on the make and model of the vehicle. Check the specific vehicle’s manual for instructions on how to check the purge valve. Without voltage, the purged valve should be closed and open when the voltage is applied. Some service manuals recommend applying a battery connection to the terminals of the purged valve and listen for an audible click. If the click is heard the purge valve is opening correctly.

Next, test the purge valve to see if it closes properly. Connect a vacuum pump to the purge valve. If the vacuum pressure drops, the valve is not closing properly and will need replaced. If the vacuum pressure remains steady, the purge valve is closing correctly. An emissions test is another way to check for a faulty purge valve. If unusually high exhaust levels are detected, replace the purge valve or its hoses.

Knowing how to troubleshoot a purged valve can help save time and money. If the vehicle displays any of the symptoms mentioned above, you may be able to fix it on your own with a little effort.

cloe0626
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic