Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Cadillac XLR: 2005 XLR shifter stuck in park, abs warning light,

Customer Question

2005 XLR shifter stuck in park, abs warning light, traction control light, anti theft light, showing on panel. Got it unlocked finally noticed all the gauges, fuel, oil pressure, temp, volt, not functioning. Drove car no problem, then shut it off shifter stuck again.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.Does the key get stuck or just the shifter?Let me first tell you I am not a big fan of taking a car of this age to a dealer. I think you would be much better off at a local repair shop. Price and skill level. try looking for either an AcDelco shop or a Bosch service center. The Bosch shops are typically the better shops. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all you still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just the shifter. there is no key it's push button start. I can put it in neutral by putting the accessory on in the car it will not start but I'm able to put it from Park into neutral no problem in accessory mode.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.
Do you have access to a scanner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just tell me the different mechanical things that could cause this problem what should a mechanic look for
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.
The most common failure is the ECm. Need to check some voltages on the scanner to verify connections. How old is your battery? These are very sensitive to weak batteries.You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all you still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.