Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac CTS: i have a 2005 CTS that I replaced the battery

Customer Question

i have a 2005 CTS that I replaced the battery in and now I have no gauges and the blue high beam indicator flashes constantly.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
Remove both battery cables from the battery, hold them together for several seconds, then reattach to the battery. See if that makes any difference in the symptom.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that several times also, still nothing. I have read many forums about this issue and have been told to do many things, unhooking the battery cables and touching them together for 30 seconds was one of many responses I got. This still didn't help.The major difference I see with my issue verses what I have seen with others is the flashing blue high beam indicator light. Have you seen that before?
I haven't ever seen that, that is a new one on me. I've seen plenty of logic lockups that are solved by the battery cable procedure, though, and this seems to fit that mold pretty well. The next step in this process is putting a factory scan tool on it to see what's going on with it, frankly. If this were in my shop, I know that's what I'd be doing. There has to be a communication issue with one of the modules, and a factory scan tool is the only way to work that kind of problem out. I know this seems like an obvious answer, but this is really in the realm of a dealer tech, and not something that is going to be a DIY friendly repair. I suspect that one of the computers in the car got damaged by the power surge when connecting the battery, and it will require replacement, which means programming that only your dealer can perform. If I had to take a guess at this based on my experience and knowledge of these systems, I'd say you have either a failed cluster or failed body controller.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I purchase a pre-programmed body control module? I have seen the pre-programmed ECM's online but have not been able to find the pre-programmed BCU's. I just cannot afford to take this car to the dealer. I also need to replace the transmission that just started slipping.
I have never seen a company that preprograms body controllers for these cars. VIN specific information, including for theft deterrent, has to be loaded into it, I'm not even sure you could get a junkyard BCM to work if the cars were otherwise identical.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will try and find a cheap cluster to replace mine. if that does not work, i will replace the BCM and then take it to the dealer to have it programmed. My fear is the unknown circle of cost involved with a dealer trying to find an issue like this. not only am I paying for them to try and diagnose it, but I would be paying their outrageous prices for factory replacement parts that may or may not be the problem. the car is just not worth that much. maybe I should just stop while I am ahead and give it to charity.
You are at a distinct disadvantage from the dealer. We do have tools that enable us to communicate on the data bus, and see which modules aren't there or which ones are reporting troubles with the others. It wouldn't be guesswork so much as some solid diagnostic work with good tools.