Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2004 coup 4 door. it was running perfectly and all

Customer Question

I have a 2004 coup 4 door. it was running perfectly and all the sudden when I woke up and try to start up the car something in the ignition switch happened, the car won't start up and it won't let me turn the ignition switch all the way back to take the key off, it probably have to do with the security system or the key that is been used for along time all ready. my question is what to do to start the car? there is a light in the dash port with a car and a lock on it
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** have over 30 years experience repairing vehicles. I am ASE certified master auto technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Have you replaced the battery recently? If the battery voltage is low it can cause this to occur. What I would start with is getting your battery tested and replace if necessary. Is this a cts or dts with a v6?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the battery is 11.3 volts, at least that is what the dash port is telling me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a V6 Cadillac 2004 coupe, Iam not sure what cts or dts means.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

11.3 volts is way too low to start this car. I strongly recommend getting the battery charged and tested. Replace if necessary. Unfortunately these are very common for ECM failure when the battery voltage gets too low. You may need an ECM to get it going. The battery is the cause so it must be addressed first.