Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Cadillac cts: . Hope you can help me. !I am willing to compensate

Customer Question

Hi. Hope you can help me. !I am willing to compensate properly if I can get the help I need. Here is the story..... I purchased a 2005 CTS without the ECM also without the TCM. Then I PURCHASED BOTH ITEMS ALREADY PROGRAMMED. I think "plug & play" is the terminology. I turned the key and here is a list of what works and what doesn't:
.
DOES WORK: power seats, electrochromic rear view mirror, climate control heat and a/c lights up and you can adjust the controls and see it change on the screen ( but the blower motor does not work), headlights, taillights, brake lights
.
DOES NOT WORK: dash lights, starter does not engage, ignition shows no signs of working, power door locks do not work, power mirrors don't work, radio doesn't work
.
.I did replace the ignition switch and have no change in anything. I can follow your direction. I'm probably a 6 on a 10 scale for mechanic work. I do have a multimeter and know a little about how to use it.
. thanks
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, Ok if you replaced all the modules and did not do a theft relearn then I think that is the way to go. The system needs to be relearned. Here is the procedure. Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span.After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run.Wait another 10 minutes.After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run.Wait another 10 minutes.After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again.It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned.During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger. Try this and see. If this does not work then we may have a programming error on your new modules.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK but just to verify even though most everything seems to be dead. I'm familiar with the procedure but I thought I
The dash would still light up etc. Some of the reading I've done seems to point to the bcm??
.
Happy to follow your lead just thought I would throw the last bit of info I have. Thanks
It is a very valid point. Can I ask you why it was missing those modules when you bought it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea. I purchased it knowing it did not have those items. I got it from a contact who also flips a few cars and he had no info. I took a risk. Guess we'll find out what side I wind up on.......
Wondering if the BCM isn't dead and there was some sort of power surge? This could be very difficult, what I would do next if this was in my bay is to scan the vehicle and see if I get any communication codes and if I can communicate with all of the modules. Do you have a scanner that will allow you to do these things?