Bill
Bill, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  30 years of GM vehicle experience
50714430

I had my electric/air ride shocks replaced in my 2004

Customer Question

I had my electric/air ride shocks replaced in my 2004 escalade with a bypass system, putting in regular gas shocks, coil springs and the electronic bypass put in. The question is if the mechanic did not hook up the electric bypass harness would this cause
anything to do with the fact that reverse went out in less than a half mile when he took it out for a test run?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying you lost reverse in the transmission? Do you have second gear or does the trans seem to go from first to third?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not drive it not sure if all forward gears were working, not sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the mechanic said when he took the test drive he got a few blocks and a clunk and other noises and brought it back to shop and reverse was out
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Drive it and see if you have second gear and overdrive. If you do not, and also have no reverse, it's going to be the reaction sun shell that has failed. IT is an internal part of the transmission and was unfortunately not a terribly uncommon failure. It's going to have nothing to do with your rear suspension. It basically means it is overhaul or replacement time. When the sunshell fails, metallic debris can be all over inside the transmission and it must be fully overhauled. Sorry If that's not the answer you wanted to hear but I have to call them like I see them.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so it problably had nothing to do with him not hooking up the bypass harness? just seeing if he was possibly responsible for the tranny going out
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Completely unrelated. This is going to be an internal mechanical failure in the trans which again... is not all that uncommon. There is no way a suspension harness could have affected the transmission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks, Bob
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
If I've been helpful, please take a moment and rate my answer.
Thanks!
Bill