Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac SRX: , I'm trying to jumpstart my 2012 Cadillac

Customer Question

Hi, I'm trying to jumpstart my 2012 Cadillac SRX. It happened two days ago, I had it jumpstarted, ran fine for a day (turning it on and off at various points in the day) and then when I tried to start it this morning it's dead again. Last time I called a company for the jumpstart, this time I am using and electric 12 volt portable charger, it will say it's charged and all the lights will come on but not enough power to turn the engine over and after a couple tries it goes completely dead again. I don't know whether to tell road side I need a jump start (because this portable isn't powerful enough) and it's more than likely that I just need a new battery or if I should tell them I need a tow truck because it's more than likely something more like the alternator.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since I'm having to actually pay for this, perhaps you could offer some assistance on whether or not I am using the portable charger correctly. I initially tried with the fuse/battery cover on by connected to the exposed positive and the bolt on the side when it didn't work I took the cover off and see that there are two different positive feeds, would it make a difference if I tried charging it using the other one or directly to the battery?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for the delay.
If you can connect the charger to the battery this is usually best especially if it is a low charge output (like 2 amp).
It should charge the battery either way as long as you are connected to a good ground point on the vehicle and positive point/connection.If this is a slow 2 amp charger this can take a whole day to charge up.
I suspect you either have a faulty battery needing tested and replaced (and a local parts store will usually test this at no charge to you) or you have an electrical drain on the batter with one of the components in the vehicle draining it and the vehicle would need to have a parasitic drain/draw test done with a multi meter and schematics on the vehicle to test and locate the draw.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the battery is completely dead (no lights, sounds or anything) and then after sitting for a few minutes it gets some charge (just enough for the door lights to come on) without having it hooked up to the portable charger would your best guess be that is is probably the battery? At this point I just need to tell roadside whether I need a jumpstart or a tow truck and my thought is that because it will charge some on it's on then it's probably not the alternator and more than likely a bad battery? (Assuming that it is not something else that is draining the battery - I'm just talking battery verses alternator)
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
This does sound like the battery is the cause here and is very common for it to act up this way.I suspect yours does need replaced.
Thanks Pete