Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cadillac CTS: i have oil in the radiator cooling system

Customer Question
i have oil in the...
i have oil in the radiator cooling system
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cadillac
there was water in the oil.. and oil in the radiator.. both.. now had oil cooler replaced it did have a hole.. did a radiator flush.. replaced clean water.. did oil flush replaced new oil..now im having oil in the water.. the water is yellow and mushy... after leaving running for about 15 minutes.. i can start to see it
what can it be .
engine oil cooler was replaced..
5/31/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Is your oil low?
no its not low.. now .. it was toped off to correct level .
again had water in oil.. and oil in water.. found engine oil cooler with some holes replaced oil cooler.. flushed water cooling system radiator flush.. and flushed engine oil.. put new oil in there.. but now i still have oil in water.. after 10 minutes of leaving the car on.. it drives fine.. does not over heat...
what should i do.. or were do i start ?
Wouldnt it stand to reason that if you had oil leaking into the radiator the oil would now be low? Check your transmission fluid level.
i will check for that... do you think its transmission oil instead of engine oil. ?reason being is that its yellowish color water.. .. now i cant check transmission fluid. its a sealed transmission
if its transmision oil in water.. what color should the messhy water be.. redish pink ? or yellow like the one i have ?
It should be pinkish if theres transmission fluid in there. It could just be residual oil in the system but if oil was currently going in there the oil would be low.
I am attaching the instructions to check the transmission fluid here.
No water is yellow... i left heater on.. and driained the water.. till very clean... toped it off and again it started to look yellowishwhat shoud i do next.. do you think its head gasket.. ? should it not be water geting into the engine . instead of oil ikind n the water ?
No. The engine probably has 150PSI of pressure while running. The cooling system less than 20PSI. Oil will go in the coolant before coolant will go in the oil. Considering you have done the oil cooler if youre sure youre getting fresh oil in the coolant yes I would suspect a head gasket leaking.
if leaking should i check compression test ? im gona drain the water again flush it again clean.. gona check oil level .. and try again. and check compression on cylinders. what should they read > 150psi ?
A leakdown test is your best option to check for a head gasket leak.Compression will probably be in the 150 range but all cyinders should just be within ten percent of each other.
is there any other way.. oil can get into the water.. except by head gasket or oil cooler ?
i will try this tomoowow.. good night
A cracked head or block between an oil and water passage.Let me know what you find. Ill be around.
is a leak down test with that chemical on the water sucking the air out.. ?
not sure what a leak down test .
and or if i add that block sealer to clean water.. in radiator.. should i try it after.. compression test. >
No. That is a hydrocarbon test. Thats another good one but I prefer a leakdown test.Add block sealer at your own risk. If you find one that works it will generally also "seal" the passages in your heater core, radiator and possibly even in the engine.A leakdown test is basically just putting pressure in the cylinders with the valves closed and seeing where it comes out. If it comes out through the radiator then you got a head gasket leaking.
ok. puting presusre as in air . blowing air inside the cylinder oposit of compresion test.. blowing air inside cylinder and watching for air bubles on the radiator reservoir.. ?
Yep. Most compression testers have the same fitting as an air hose. ROll the engine over till both valves are closed on the cylinder and remove the schraeder valve from the hose that fits yours spark plug hole then hook an air hose to it. If it holds nothing is leaking.. if it comes out the dipstick tube or radiator a head gasket is leaking.. if it comes out the exhaust or intake you got a valve issue or both valves arent closed.
ok i will try it keep you posted. good night thanks
No problem.
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner